If we were to become our favorite foods… I’d be a potato. I f*cking love all things potato. And my favorite potato dish is hash browns, so naturally I’m here posting about hash browns. When I lived in New York, my first year of college, I was poor af (like most college students I think?) and came to know the server at a café I would go to all the time since it was pretty cheap. I told him this particular morning I didn’t have much and if he could hook it up with some hash browns for $5. He said “No problem,” and brought me a casserole sized tin for a lasagna or eggplant parm out packed with potato gold. I couldn’t believe how f*cking amazing that guy was. And every time I came back he would do the same thing. The hash browns, by the way, were so mother lovin’ good.
BUT, what else is satisfying? I’ll tell you what, mixing up regular potato hash browns with some high vitamin sweet potatoes is what. Get a li’l more bang for your buck (in the health department). Just ignore that part where I add a bit of butter. They turned out crispy and full of even more flavor by adding in the sweet potato.
This is a super quick recipe I whipped up alongside soyrizo chilaquiles, pumpkin waffles, and biscuits & gravy for a hangover cure of champs.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Set up your food processor for shredding, and shred all three potatoes. You can also hand shred. Heat up your griddle on medium-high while you do the following step. You’ll grab a kitchen cloth and press all of the liquid out you can over the sink from the potatoes to get as dry as possible. Add the shredded potatoes to a bowl and stir in the spices, mixing well.
- Add your butter to the griddle and move it around to cover all the edges, and make sure it’s sizzling hot. Form the potatoes on the pan to look like hash browns, so flatten them down.
- You’ll cook on one side for 3-4 minutes, checking to make sure they aren’t burning, looking for a crispy golden color or deliciousness. Once reached, flip and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Your potato gold is ready to be devoured.
2 thoughts on “Sweet Potato & Potato Hash Browns”