Who else misses biscuits and gravy since being vegan/vegetarian??
And the vegan options are always just bleh at the restaurants that are vegan only… at least where I live.
I wonder why not just make traditional, tasty ass gravy instead of a semi-healthy, too thick gravy alternative that you can tell is a substitution in every bite.
Well, I have the OG recipe here, with the right ingredient swaps to make it vegan and still delicious af. I’m not trying to lose any flavor, and this mofo keeps it all packed tf in.
I was cooking four other recipes at the time of cooking this one, so homemade biscuits wasn’t really an option. Alongside soyrizo chilaquiles, pumpkin waffles, sweet potato hash browns, and finally this gravy, I drew the line at homemade biscuits. So store bought ones would do.
- 4 vegan Beyond sausage patties, or sausage of choice
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 c almond milk (more or less depending on consistency)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Thaw and break apart the sausage into chunks. Using a small/medium sauce pan, cook the sausage through on medium-high heat, releasing the grease.
- Add the flour and stir until it’s stuck on the sausage chunks, soaking up all of the grease. Then you’ll stir in the almond milk a little at a time, continuously stirring. As it cooks, the gravy will thicken, and you’ll continue to pour in the rest of the almond milk if you still have some, stirring.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer for another 2 minutes. Add the salt and pepper.
- It’s ready to go over your favorite biscuits of choice. (I used store bought because homemade biscuits was where I drew the line.)