Hands down favorite recipe during any holiday dinner… IT’S. SO. MF. GOOD. I ate half and my family finished the rest, it went quick.
The cream of mushroom I used is from Alison on Loving It Vegan.
Cream of Mushroom
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 Pack (9oz/250g) any of the brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (or Tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1/3 c white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 c nondairy milk
- 1/2 c vegan mozzerella cheese, opional
- salt and pepper
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans cut green beans, drained
- 1 1/2 c French fried onions
Cream of Mushroom
- Add the olive oil to a pot with the onion and garlic, dried oregano and basil and sauté briefly.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms and the soy sauce, and cover the pot. Cook on medium high, covered, for around 10 minutes.
- This will allow the mushrooms to release their water.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid, and cook for a further 10 minutes uncovered to allow some of the water to cook off.
- Then add the coconut milk and cook for a final 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the flavors to blend properly.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Rest of the Dish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 13X9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Boil a large pot of water, add in the green beans for 8-10 minutes until they’re soft, strain, and run cold water over them.
- In a large skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil and the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the mushroom soup. Stir in the milk and cheese until the cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place your green beans in the prepared dish, pour the mixture over all of the green beans. Fold in 3/4 cup of the fried onions. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Top with the rest of the fried onions, and bake another 10-15 minutes until they’ve turned golden, and the casserole is hot and bubbly. Enjoy that sh*t.