Although it takes extra time to get it all done, it’ll be out of the way for the next week, and helps you to eat healthy without the “I’m too tired to prep and cook anything” after work thoughts that lead to Chinese take-out.
Start with picking a day! For me, it’s Sunday, I’ll hit the gym and on my way home stop and get groceries with the plan of prepping already set in my mind when I get home… no excuses!
I’ll start with my typical grocery list (for one):
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 container spinach (organic)
- 2 red onions
- 1 lb bag of carrots
- 1 lb bag of sweet potatoes
- 3 avocados
- 4 tomatoes on a vine
- 1 bag of grapes
- 3 bananas
- 1 bag of frozen blueberries
- 2 apples
- brown rice
- whole wheat bread (low sugar)
- cereal (8 grams of sugar or less)
- almond milk (original/unsweetened)
- 1 container hummus (I love red pepper hummus!!)
- 1 container salsa
- 2 14oz can black beans
- 2 14oz can chickpeas
- peanut butter
*not pictured is the bread, soy milk, and cereal, I already had those!
** added cost would be $6.89
- Prepare 2 cups of dried rice according to package, store in a Tupperware.
- Cut the bell pepper into strips, store in a Ziploc or Tupperware.
- Rinse and peel half the bag of carrots, cut them into strips (cut in half long-ways, and cut those in half) and store in Z or T.
- Rinse half the bag of sweet potatoes, and dice into dime-sized pieces, store in a Z or T.
- Cut the broccoli into florets and store in Z or T.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and store in Z or T.
- Rinse off grapes and put in a bowl.
- Rinse off apples (slice if you are going to eat one the next day)
- Grab two tomatoes and dice, store. Grab another two and cut into slices, store.
- Peanut sauce
- Chickpea mash
*onion is chopped right before cooking because the onion pulls in toxins after being cut open and isn’t as great compared to fresh!
You’re prepped!! Now you can just throw together easy meals when you get home, and there isn’t much prep needed.
Some of my favorite recipes using these ingredients: