A pretty simple recipe that is full of flavor! Honestly, one of my favorite creations, a blend of Mexican spices and bomb veggies, atop brown rice and topped with salsa and hummus. SO GOOD.
This recipe is pretty easy to throw together once your veggies are prepped!
You’ll want to dice your sweet potatoes, cut your broccoli into florets and slice the bell pepper. In a medium sized bowl you’ll toss the broccoli and bell pepper with olive oil and the spices. place on half of the baking sheet, throw the sweet potatoes in the same bowl and add oil and spices to those as well. Throw on the other side of the baking sheet and pop that baby in the oven.
Once they are cooked up, pile on as much as you want on top of your rice, and throw on the salsa and hummus! I also added tapatio.
- 2.5 c brown rice, cooked
- 1 head of broccoli florets
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 14oz can black beans
- 1 tomato. diced
- 3 tbsp hummus
- 1 avocado
- 6 tbsp salsa (store-bought or homemade)
- Make sure you get your rice cooking, either prep beforehand or cook according to package before getting started.
- Set your oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Get a medium bowl, throw in your broccoli and bell peppers, and top with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp of the rest of the spices. Give it a toss to coat everything, adding more oil if necessary, spread this out on half of the baking sheet. Keep the bowl for the next step.
- In the medium bowl, add the sweet potatoes, and the rest of the oil and spices. Toss to coat, and if needed, add more oil. Place these on the other side of the baking sheet, and pop it into the oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove the broccoli and bell peppers, set aside, and put the sweet potatoes back in for another 12 minutes.
- Right before the sweet potato gets finished, you can get a bowl ready. For one serving, you’ll start with the base, 3/4 cups of rice, add 1/3 of the broccoli and bell peppers, 1/3 of black beans, 1/3 diced tomato, 1 tbsp hummus, 1/3 avocado and 2 tbsp salsa.
- Once the sweet potatoes are ready, throw 1/3 of those into the bowl, and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 22 g||34 %|
|Saturated Fat 3 g||16 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 12 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 343 mg||14 %|
|Potassium 1450 mg||41 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 96 g||32 %|
|Dietary Fiber 21 g||82 %|
|Sugars 10 g|
|Protein 17 g||35 %|
|Vitamin A||270 %|
|Vitamin C||111 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
One thought on “Spiced Veggie and Rice Bowl”