I’m into cooking morning food apparently… this one was a goodie, and super tastey. I’m really happy with how it turned out, and there is a really great tip to getting your potatoes to cook the right way and not get mushy.
The tip: Instead of stirring your potatoes with a spatula or spoon, once they are on the pan, let them cook for minimum five minutes and TOSS them, allow to cook another 5-10 minutes, TOSS, and repeat until they look and feel right. This allows the potatoes to not get squished and actually cook properly for a sturdy, slightly crisp finish. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve ruined my potatoes by stirring them and they turn into mush and the pan burns more. There is magic to the toss method, give it a try!
I added black beans for some extra protein and avocado, with a finish of paprika and cumin. I wish I had cilantro because that would have been bomb af. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced (smaller than a dime)
- 1 red potato, diced (smaller than a dime)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (I skipped salt, but add as you see fit)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- sprinkle of paprika
- sprinkle of cumin
- black beans
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, I would advise not going too high on the heat and make sure the oil heats up. Add the potatoes, make sure they are spread, add black pepper and let cook for 8-10 minutes, no stirring.
- Add in the rest of the veggies and toss, don’t stir, mixing everything. Let cook for another 8-10, and toss again. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes and pierce the potatoes with a fork and see if they are finished. If you want to cook to be more crispier, give it another toss and let sit for another minimum of five minutes.
- Serve and add your toppings. Enjoy!